Thursday, 22 December 2016

It's All About The Perch

The last few weeks the rivers I fish have finally come into winter trim. The bankside foliage has died away, making the fishing easier. Mr Perch cannot tuck himself away so much now, presenting a lure to the far bank cover is less problematic.

While it's been like a jungle, fish have no need to come out and chase a lure. As soon as you start your retrieve your bringing the lure out of the strike zone. I could have used the drop method of course, but mentioning on here before it's not a method I enjoy one bit-each to there own of course.

But looking at youtube and Face Prowler the nation has gone wasp fishing crazy. The world and his brother seem to be "Pro Staff", garnering a handful of soft plastic lures seems to elevate them to Ish Monroe or Mike Laconelli standard. Do people not just fish for the fun of it anymore, no it's not just me who does that I'm sure?

My crankbaits have been put away for the last few trips, preferring other methods. Though the other week was an odd one. I dropped into a swim, under my feet a little to the left a good Perch of around three pounds was holding stationery. I dropped in a Cenkos in front of it, not a movement at all. Done the same with an imitation  Crayfish, hopped it about, dragged it away nothing. So i clipped on a small crank, cast right behind it and brought it up past the fish on a slow retrieve. The Perch moved in a flash and ended up in a weed bed missing the lure by a mile, not to be seen again. I wonder how many times our lures and treated with disdain, when we can't see what's going on.

Just a few photo's of why I fish, the mornings, the peace and quiet. The just switching off and doing it. Doing it for me and me alone is enough.














Now we rush headlong into Christmas, my favourite time of the year. Though I'll have one more very short session on Christmas Eve morning.


So a very Merry Christmas to all.





Be Lucky

Monty D

9 comments:

  1. Spot-on Monty. I like catching fish and I like catching big fish – but I do it for the love of being out there, switching off from the daily grind and a few hours escapism rather than anything else. I know many of the big fish and ‘pro’ anglers are under pressure to not only go out and fish but to catch too, I really can’t think of anything more depressing. Anyway, a nice perch or two from a winter river – can’t beat it! Happy Christmas Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good Christmas Mr and Mrs Monty, everything in moderation.

    Mother Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seasonal salutations my dear fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice read Monty. I know you're a stickler for proof reading before you post so thought I'd point you to the second paragraph. You might want to pay attention to your use of 'your' and 'there'. Have a good one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ofsted Inspector (Miglands) says......Don't get too cocky Mr Deputy Head, we're calling at your place in January !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gent's,

    A Merry Christmas to one and all. Back now from a short session on the river. Feet up and C5, The Vikings then Jason and the Argonauts.

    Roll on September and the BFAMWE reunion ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFAMWE reunion? ? That site died a death years ago!

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas Monty! I hope it's a fish filled and family oreintated affair. Stay safe. James.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little late with the reply James, bit like Arsenal yesterday. Thank god they did for my football bet. So I'll wish you a good 2017.

    ReplyDelete