Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Two Sugars?

It's been a funny few days for fishing, two trips. One I caught on, one that saw a blank. Sunday saw me holding onto a brolly for dear life, while ensconced on the river. Two Barbel hung themselves on the end in a short three hour trip.

Sadly I was bored, so bored that the camera did not get whipped out. It's hard to understand why as for ten years or more they occupied my every angling moment. Ying said to me recently "Just how many Barbel to people need to catch", he has lost his Barbel mojo also. It's not the species's fault, possibly it's the sitting on one's arse  doing fuck all that does my brain in. One well known expert in the angling media, casts out, set his baitrunners and proceeds to read a book!


Today though was a blast, though fishless. My beady eye has been tracking the water level on a different river since Sunday night. Dropping daily so things looked good. Quick call to Gruff to see if he was about today, yep so the jobs a good'un.

This little lot below was sorted, what Pike or Perch would forgo a munch on one of these?



Now before I went to bed last night, one last look at the EA website, all looked good. Arrived before Gruff, quick phone call and told him where I was heading. Walked down to the river and was greeted by this, a coffee coloured swirling mess. How the fuck did this happen, with no overnight rain. Pulled out the phone, checked the levels at it had spike over two feet since midnight and continued to rise while we fished.

All I can think of is that it poured down on the other side of the South Downs. Still you're not at work the winds howling in your face like a demented banshee, life is good.




Moving downstream to find some smoother water, began chucking various bits of wood and metal to no avail. Then out of the gloom up popped Gruff, with his new Lumby Trickster. Silent and stealthy for a big lad, one minute he was not about, then poof, just like the shopkeeper in  Mr. Benn as if by magic he appeared.




We both fished hard, nice mild day to be out. Sure the winds an absolute bastard gusting up to 50 Mph, lures for some of us getting blown into trees, but all rescued with my cat like dexterity.




After five hours we sat down in a sheltered spot for a cuppa. "Had enough kid, winds getting worse and I am fooked". "Yeah come on then old'un let's piss off".




No fish, but a good laugh with some proper banter as always. Glad I made the effort, family stuff will have me by the balls for the next few weeks, so I'll struggle to get out, In that time perhaps I'd better read the instructions on my new camera, instead of just point and hope-plum.

As for Coops and his Perch Auction Day, the lad is busy with work and I dare say he will be even busier after recent events. Being the gent I am, I've paid an additional hundred pound into the fund for Iwan. So no rush big boy, when ever you can get away.

Be Lucky

Monty D

4 comments:

  1. Short barbel sessions are the way to go matey, none of this planted on yer bum all day stuff. But flicking plastic about in a flood is just as daft in my book but, if it floats your boat then go for it.

    I bet that baitcaster outfit is like an extension to your arm now and you're wondering why you didn't convert ages ago ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Still enjoy a bit of rolling meat, but on Sunday that was out of the question. When I think back at the hours we used to put in. One Febuary arrived on the Loddon at 0700 and we packed up at 2200. Madness.

    As for throwing lures in those conditions, we really were not expecting that. It was about NWL, when I went to bed. As for the baitcaster, they are piss easy. Even I can use one and use it well ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Toothy Critter Easom says.....you need a days guiding with me fella.

    ReplyDelete