Saturday, 31 October 2015

Canal Session

Living  where we do our local rivers tend to rise very quickly in the Autumn and Winter and hold a tea colouration for a length of time. Great for some species, less so for others. This week we have had the first proper flush through for ages. Two of my club waters are around three feet or so up with tons of crap coming down, no good then for lure fishing.

I've needed a backup venue for a while now, done some looking about in the close season and came up with a canal for some winter sport. The first time in around fifteen years that has seen me wet a line on a water like this.

Where to start though, going in blind. Gruff and I had four hours this morning  and I expected to blank. Loads of leaves on the surface and mid water. The bottom was thick with them, well out of our comfort zone here. Few features and long blank stretches.

Tough fishing in that presentation was a nightmare on a straight retrieve, the surface debris was dragging my Kyopto all over the place. Gruff was busy casting at squirrels again, hell bent on losing every lure and trace I gave him. Seemingly intent to "Deck The Halls" about six weeks early. He did manage a Jack though and methinks he is getting the lure bug.  






Fish were active though, small silvers were jumping clear all along the canal. But only where the leaves were, the few clear spaces proved fruitless. I went down to a tiny one inch lure and tried slow jigging, hopping them back. It worked after some playing around in that I managed to nick Twelve Perch, dropped three and lost a Jack of about eight pound at the net. The best one below, small compared to our river venues, but something different.

The plus points, no other anglers and a change of scenery and a few fish. The downside, joggers, cyclists, bike riders, ramblers, canoes and heaps of dog shit! This will only ever be a back up water, not somewhere I'd choose to fish if our rivers are in good trim. But nice to have an option, but if my only angling would be on a canal. Well, I'd play a lot more golf than I do now.  

With my Extending Arms Its a Good Three Plus (cough).


A great weeping and a wailing on social media this week over the demise of CAT. Where are the Barbel experts going to peddle their product placement now? What is to happen to the "Coventry Comb Over",  Mr. Pope and even that happy go lucky chap Pete Reading. I feel your pain brothers of the angle.

But face facts, since this issue below around four years ago. The magazine has been on a downward spiral. This was the pinnacle, after that. Sweet fuck all!



Be Lucky

Monty D

12 comments:

  1. Pretty canal at this time of year mate..... if you like leaves. They never have inspired me but like you, the odd spinning trip was usually rewarded with some small fish on the Taunton to Bridgewater.

    To find fish I often used a small spinner bait, cast out and walked along the tow path - something usually grabbed it eventually. A real purist me :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margins are way to shallow for your neanderthal ways!

      Delete
  2. If you lived right next a canal, Monty, then you'd see it differently. Because of neglect they hold surprises. I'm certain that the very largest pike in your vicinity lives in that cut somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      I saw enough evidence yesterday of the Pike potential. But the sheer volume of mankind, being about was a cross I'm not sure I could bare. Plus I caught as many branches as I did Perch, snag city. I'll give it a few more goes though when it gets cold.

      Delete
    2. Yep, they ain't the quietest places, are they? I think I'm almost used to it now. Almost!

      Delete
  3. Alex S Jones says.....Just to point out that that was a mock up cover Mrs Jones got the CAT people to do for a birthday present, look you.

    Nice perching Mr Monty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAT dropped a big bollock when they stopped including the Leicestershire Lothario's Fishing Diary. Deprived of their monthly fix of angling eye-candy, angling's female fraternity flocked away in their droves.

    Messrs Elt, Chidgley, Swords and co were no substitute for the raw sex appeal of the Hinckley Adonis and his trusty sidekicks Roger (the Chuckle Brother they don't talk about) Cramer and Rob (looks like a Saffer) Doughty.

    At least that's what I heard...

    J90

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,

      He was in the last edition, I had a thumb through in Smiffs. He did look very glum.

      Delete
    2. Too little, too late Monty.

      I asked the maestro to smile for the camera once as he was holding his 3rd 6lb+ chub of the day...he did try bless him. It was a case "nah your all right mate, just go back to how you were" :-)

      Delete
    3. His articles were good over the years and Alan Rawdens (I think), when he was using Trigga paste on the Stour.

      That may be ten years or so ago now?

      Delete