Sunday, 8 March 2015

Things Happen For A Reason

Things happen for a reason, that's what my wife says all the time. Me well I'm more of a  shit happens kind of person. Seldom do I fish on a Sunday, normally that is a family day for us. But with Denise working last night and me working yesterday, the need for a few hours  angling was strong . And who wants to creep about the house while your beloved sleeps?

Conditions are coming good at last, just as the season draws to a close. I'll not get involved in the annual debate over the close season, that's one for me to sit out,  very rare for me not to have an opinion I know, but the annual debate is futile in my view.

Stunning morning to be out and I started  using little imitation cray fish, gently hoping them back, giving them a twitch a slow pull. Just after I took this photo I had a hook up and a good Perch was shaking it's head and as I reached for the net and it looked around three pound, then inexplicably the hook pulled. " Noooooooooooo", to late in the season for this to happen. Gutted, really pissed off gutted.




I stomped off downstream to see Gruff who was dead baiting on the lower beat and he was into a few Jacks after loosing a good fish early doors. He said "Son you look reet pissed off, we need a photo for your blog". "Yeah triffic, thanks pal"



Bollocks


I fished the lower beat for an hour or so for just a couple of knocks, walked back passed Gruff and said "I'm going to give it an hour upstream then get the train home mate"

Back to the area I lost a fish this morning, a huge sweeping bend that  has always been a favorite of mine. Time was ticking bye, shads, spinnerbaits no joy. I clipped on a jig fly, cast way downstream and started the retrieve. it's coming in, nearly ready to lift out, then time stood still.

From right under my feet in no more than two foot of water a large Perch shot out, turned, twisted and the lure was gone, right near the surface. I had stopped fishing, just held the rod, gawping at what was being played out just feet away in the clear water. I could not quantify what I was witnessing, literally the whole scene was akin to a  nature movie, then the rod hooped over and I snapped out of my stupor.

No finesses in this fight, short line, one dive from the Perch then scooped up into the net. I left her to rest and just played the scene out in my head over and over. I'll be forty five next month, fished since I was ten and that was without doubt the most exciting thing ever in my angling life. To watch it on lets say Youtube would have been great from a bystanders point of view. But for it to happen, mere feet from me has blown my mind.

The jig fly was way back in the mouth. I'm sure it was the fish I lost earlier in the day, same area everything. She weighed in at 3.2, not the largest Perch I've caught from this river by a long way. But what happened today, will live long, very long in the memory when I'm old and I can just look back and grin.



So as Denise would say "Things happen for a reason", she may be right? As If I had not lost this fish  and I am positive it's the same Perch from earlier on , then what happened a few hours later would not be on here.

I phoned Gruff, but he said I was babbling away. Yeah I was, still am! What a thing to see, simply bloody amazing!

I'll not fish next week. End the season on a high and with Cheltenham looming I'll be fit for fuck all by next weekend anyway.


Be Lucky

Monty D

12 comments:

  1. Very well done on the perch fella. Nice Primark anorak too....

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gift from a client mate that "Wading Jacket" ;-0

      Delete
  2. Monty, spot on the money, I agree with that everything happens for a reason, bloody pukka and you have a fantastic beat for Perch so damn lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,

      It's not one beat, I refer to all areas as "Beats". Can't be to careful in blog land. Eleven miles of river, on two tickets. And a dozen more or so on other club tickets.

      Plenty of Perch about on most rivers, just not your local.

      Delete
  3. Never pegged Gruff for a cantankerous owd sod, thought he was a reet fair fellar when I met him once oop Norf. He was probbly windin' you up Monty, though you were probbly babbling away like a good 'un.

    Truly gorgeous looking 'sergeant' and enjoyable tale telling.... was there wi' you and enjoyed similar reaction to that which was being displayed to you. Full marks for ending on a right high note; have a really good festival, ... and lucrative too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi, Oi Oz,

      Daaan Cheltenham next week for two days. You can't beat it mate. Keep well :-)

      Delete
  4. Jason, I'd agree with the "shit happens" and I'm normally of the "whatever can happen will happen" mentality. That is a cracking perch to catch near the end of the season. Spent Saturday afternoon on the lures myself and was left asking why I don't do more of this type of fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      It suits me down to the ground mate, very little tackle needed. Minimal food and drink as I only fish short sessions. But most importantly for me is that it keeps me active, being a fidget arse ;-0

      Delete
  5. A fitting finally by any standards. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Yep it's been a crap winter on the whole, levels have been high for weeks on end.

      I've found some canal venues for next season, that can be done via public transport. So looking forward to that.

      Delete
  6. *Edit* just seen your post on my blog Monty! Lovely perch there mate and a great way to end the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay out of Witherspoons, especially that one ;-0. Off racing tomorrow for two days an early night beckons.

      Delete