Saturday, 6 December 2014

The Lemsip Kid

Yep that's me this weekend, laid up with a poxy cold. Wrapped up at home with a Hot Water bottle on me noggin. I thought I may sweat it out over night, the wife left home for her night shift I went to bed. All was going well until  three am and the cat was scratching at the bedroom door a sign that he wants to go out.

Amble down stairs and open the back door, freezing cold in just my boxer shorts. Then five minutes of deliberation, from his nibs before he decides it's to cold to go out and decapitate some more mice. And he goes back in. Now you may think just nudge him with your foot to get him out. I've tried that before while I had shoes on, a big mistake. He morphed into a hissing, snarling lunatic. In bare feet I thought better of it. Back to bed, but no more sleep came. Doubt I'll miss much today with that hard frost last night. Carl I know your out, sorry to let you down mate, I hope it was worth it. Always next weekend.



Doppelgangers of the Angling World Part XXXII.

We have not had one of these for a while, so without further ado may I present these fine two  upstanding members of society. Below we have the Sussex maestro that is Richard Cleaver, lover of vintage tackle, best known for his simply abysmal effort to try and earn his "Stripes". But he came strong near the end, went on to coach  the Jamaican Bobsleigh team, made a mean breakfast of flap jacks, nurtured his young nieces and nephew. And knocked up some great looking home made floats(hint, hint). Glad things are on the mend mate ;-0



And below we have Uncle Buck, the uncle among uncles. With a very nice Grayling caught from the river Frome in poor conditions. Way to go 'Unc.




Christmas Books.

As ever the year has seen me behave-mostly. So last week a little letter was popped  up the chimney to Farther Christmas with a request for these three. Firstly Tangles with Pike, by Dominic Garnett. I'm looking forward to this, he writes very well. His blog is a pleasure to read, his book Flyfishing for Coarse Fish has intrigued me to maybe try this next summer.




Next up is Lure Fishing Presentation and Strategy, by Dave Pugh. A couple of people have recommend this to me. I've been told it is direct and straight to the point. Now normally like many, a story has to be weaved into the fabric of a book, let the tale unfold. Draw you in. This is unlike that, so I'm led to understand. But a mate did say " You will learn something mate", don't doubt that I will.





Lastly this, While My Float's Still Cocked, written by Maurice J Pledger, Simply it was put to me thus." Jay I can't believe you do not have this yet". Nuff said then!


I can't go and not mention Blythe Spartans, the FA Cup still holds it's magic. Let's hope they draw one of the big clubs in the third round and get a day out to remember.

Off for more Lemsips.

Enjoy your weekend.

Be lucky.

Monty D


18 comments:

  1. Paul 'Gazza' Gascoigne says...Monty man, a cannier bunch o' gadgie than Blythe Spartans you'll not meet, pet. And I canna believe that you haven't got Maurice Pledges book yet, man. Alreet, I'm gannin' soon the toon to the offy fer a pack o' Newkie Brown, pet an' drink to me old mate Raol Moat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Monty, they should be having to replay the game, due to Hartlepool having scored before the Blyth 'winner'.
    Cheats never prosper and Blyth keeper is one, even though the linesman (referee's assistant) couldn't adjudicate. Only the Tv replays determined that it should've been a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      It happens, smile you could be a S***s fan.;-0 That is the FA Cup magic.

      Delete
  3. What can I say Monty me ol' fruit, apart from people wearing a tam o'shanter shouldn't throw stones ;o) Get well soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you with that bloody black dog of your back .;-0

      Delete
  4. Weak! I had a cold all week but still managed to do the fan dance.

    Wdw

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lost, but what is a "Fan Dance"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 24km with a bergen over the tallest mountain in south Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh get you soldier. I did think it may be you, posting as under cover as usual.

      Meanwhile in the real world I'm off to do a proper days work. ;-0

      Delete
  7. Ya big wuss. I've just come out of hospital and you don't find me complaining..... well, not until I do my blog anyway. ;o)

    Love the doppelganger, now if only I could find something to rhyme with 'Uncle Buck'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave,

    I know Richard and his "Misses" found it amusing, as I have said before it's just a bit of fun. Got me some hand made floats on the way too ;-0.

    As for the hospital visit, better now than at Christmas ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Moles" book is paper back i hope you are aware of this Monty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is, I must have missed the original publication. I read elsewhere that two hundred and fifty copy's were hard back and filthy five were leather bound.

      Shame really as paper backs do have a tendency, to bugger up quickly, once read. Best to read it and lay it down. To look after it.

      Delete
  10. Season's Greetings Monty.

    On the subject of doppelgangers, this Carl geezer that you bumped into to - does he look unerringly like Novac Djokovic?

    Cheers

    Joe90

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe,

    Yes he does, but then I guess you may fish the same club a little further out than me? Intrigued as ever, but I may be getting a handle on who you are now ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh so you bumped into the Dutchman, AKA 'Croydon Carl'. He's a top bloke and a fairly tidy angler on the quiet - when he's not chained to the kitchen sink that is :-)

    Alas I suspect your handle is decidedly luke warm Monty old son. Nah you wouldn't find me joining a cushy southern angling club, not with all that picturesque scenery, bigger than average fish and general all-round chalk-fed loveliness. No, I prefer my rivers bleak and largely fishless, not :-)

    Have a good xmas, and if you bump into Croydon again then ask him to ring me.

    Cheers,

    Joe90





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send him a text message, off fishing now ;-0

      Delete