Sunday, 9 November 2014

Doppelgangers of the Angling World Part XXXI

Well it's been months and months since a Doppelganger graced these pages, but I spotted this one on Friday, so without further ado may the angling gods present these two fine fellows.....



Below we have "Sir" Jeff Hatt, pondering on all things Roach, bread baits and life and real Ale in general.



And below we have Dante, pondering on one of life's great mysterious. Not Dumas, piscatorial prose. No that total bastard that is Zander and the problem of dropped runs!




My fishing, well the last two weeks have been taken up with football and work. That was until Friday night when I got my tackle ready for an assault on my local Perch population. Alas the weather gods seem to be aligning with his mates from last season. We have had to much rain again in Surrey this week, my local venue had dropped back nice as of Thursday, when a new and improved, guaranteed to piss me off  sort of rain fell. I held out hope, awoke yesterday morning at 0430, checked the EA website only to see she was over the top again. This seems to be remarkably like the last few seasons, sodden fields under foot and the river forming Ox Bow Lakes. I think I'll have to look for another club, that has access to some still waters also, as opposed to strictly river fishing.    

Just a few photos from today at Whitehall, the crowds were huge this year. Many more people made the journey I'm sure, owing to it being the centenary of the "Great War", though my Great Granddad saw it as anything but great. To him, it was just what you did. I'll not make the trip again, been going for around twenty five years now. We all go I'm sure for our own reasons, time for me to draw a line under it-he knows that it's every day I think of him, the laughs we had. I've mentioned before he passed away aged ninety nine, on Christmas Day, that was in nineteen ninety five. So yeah it's fitting on the centenary to let another soul take my regular place. Though my Mum begs to differ, she said yesterday "Boy your be back next year, you know you will"











Fingers crossed the weather enters a settled period and I can get some fishing done next Sunday.

Be Lucky

Monty D

4 comments:

  1. I do trust that's not a spur-of-the-moment decision, to call it a day for the annual pilgrimage to the cenotaph, Monty, you know it makes sense!

    I know it's not actually the anniversary of armistice day and rarely is on a Sunday but it's been ingrained for you, as you say for 20 something years, this attendance on this November Sunday. You'll miss it,... if you miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oz,

    Not at all, the decision has been on my mind these last few years. It's something I do, for those that I knew/remember. That is not to say that ongoing conflicts are any lesser and deserve the utmost respect. Who knows I may change my mind?

    Time for a late Sunday dinner ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter where you are as long as you don't forget. Do what feels right on the day mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think next year, if the weather gods decree I'll go fishing on that day ;-0

    ReplyDelete