Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Fallon's Angler

A fair  few anglers would be aware that a new angling magazine has recently been published, a brave and some may say foolish thing to do in a market that has saturation coverage. But then fortune favors the brave, or so they would have you believe.

Me, well it has been years since I felt the need to open my wallet for an angling magazine, as they do not grab my attention anymore. Whilst  waiting for my train home from work, I flick through the various issues that adorn the shelves of "Smiffs". But it seems to be more product placement than literary content. How many photo's of bags of bait do you the reader need to see? The latest must have, will let you slaughter 'em rig. Magazines do need adverts to survive, but in my eyes it is all to prevalent in most articles.

This little cracker is different! The front cover did give me cause for concern, not the shot of Dominic Garnett but the words "A medley of piscatorial prose". That to me screams twee and possibly would put others off too, it has a mate of mine. Simply I just cannot do twee, just get out on the bank and fish.

My fears though were unfounded , it really is a good read. I will not spoil it for those who have not read this yet, or intend to purchase a copy. Each article is laid out well, looks good and tells a story that draws you in. You can fish from Manhattan to Pembrokeshire, my old stamping ground of East London to South Africa. Fish for Squid by night (this gave me nightmares) or fluke out your largest Perch.


Also issue number one comes with a free gift, a Barder Barbus Maximus, not bad for eight quid.



Jokes aside, it will appeal to those of us who are getting on in life, fished about a bit. Maybe learnt to dangle a worm in your local canal as a child. Moved on to various species, different styles of angling. Then you come full circle and you understand doing your own thing is enough. Old enough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Give it a go, the editor  Garrett Fallon is indeed brave to start this venture and lord knows what the start up costs are? Support something different, from most of the current angling publications and I hope you like I are not disappointed. If you are then you must be mad!

Enjoyed this edition to the core and let's hope it takes off.

Be Lucky

Monty D

20 comments:

  1. Got it and saving it for a quiet time. I did read the squid article though - pretty cool eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      It's certainly different that's for sure. I do have a favorite article but will let you form your own mid.

      I also got yesterday Dom's book Fly Fishing For Coarse Fish. I fancy reading up on this, it's sowed a little seed in my mind and I may give this a go next summer ;-0

      Delete
  2. I spent a day in the company of Garrett, a really nice guy and one who I sincerely hope succeeds with his vision.
    Haven't read the magazine yet but success will depend on getting the balance absolutely right, there are many who enjoy writing of shall we say a slightly deeper nature but if it veers too close to the Waterlog style it may put a potential readership off.
    I will be pushing Garrett's magazine as much as I can so thought I would just drop by here to express my feelings which concur with your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      It reads well at present a mix of anglers and the odd no angler thrown in for good measure. Different styles of angling.

      What would dissuade me, is that if future issues veered to much towards "Tweed, Plum Cake and Creels". Yates has the patent on this and does it well. One angler who can make a rainy day shine.

      If others try to ape Yates, it for me is a travesty. I love to use cane rods for certain species, but do not feel the need to dress up and partake in piscatorial parlor games( that's for you Ying, just for you).

      I'm sure Garrett has undertaken his homework about this venture, owing to the nature of his work.

      So let's hope it works out well for him and the readers.

      Delete
    2. Monty,

      Prick it's non angler not no angler. No time to change the original post, need to get my train home.

      Delete
  3. I have my copy, reading well,thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred,

    Did you get out at all with that fly cane rod you had ? It looked to good to sit and just not be used ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Pope and Boney like it then,...... the kiss of death if ever there was one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half past three in the morning Tone you old piss 'ead? I'm off to work. It did make me chuckle though. Silly sod ;=0

      Delete
    2. Was out carp fishing Monty.

      Delete
  6. Gosh! A new magazine has brought old friends together, how sweet :oD

    I agree with everything you've said about it Jase, keep it real but leave the tweed for the dressers up. I reckon you could pen something yourself, maybe about your pursuit of perch on that lovely little river or your new technique for taking gullible chub on a static floating lure :op
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Na proper clear, concise writing is not in my remit. Just random blog entry's is more my thing.

      Ordered the cockney sparra book ;-0

      Delete
  7. Wot it ain't got no picktures in? But that's how my eyes read.

    Des Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume that is you, you daft bugger. Glad it turned up OK ;-0

      Delete
  8. Not me shag, maybe it's Reb though. On first look through it seems OK, an unusual size for a fishing mag though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed it was you, sorry mate. I'll agree with the size, it strike me as a little strange.

      Just back from work and must catch the 3.50 from Newmarket, fingers crossed for nearly caught each way at 14/1 in a thirty four horse cavalry charge ;-0

      Delete
  9. I've been practicing with it Monty,having never owned a fly rod. Haven't been on the river yet...but will be soon.

    Still not read the new mag though,so I don't know if I like it.
    Inside back cover a bit of a mess though, or is it just my copy?

    Too busy cataloging the Rev's books for the evil bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred,

      My copy is fine. I've seen the list of the Rev's books he does have a few.

      Delete