Monday, 1 September 2014

If You Buy One Book This Year

Do yourself a favor and get this one, written by Helen Macdonald. This totally, totally grabbed me around the throat and would not let go. I was supposed to save this, to read on the plane this coming weekend. I thought I would take a cheeky dip in, late on Friday night. A big mistake, the book enthralled me all weekend. It is one of those books that you yearn not to end.

Helen writes a beautiful tome about nature, falconry, the use of love and training of a Goshawk to help her move on from the death of her father. The chapter where she relates to receiving the phone call from her mother, informing  Helen of her father passing away, was brave as it was brutal. To lay bare the depths of your soul like that, takes some doing. You could feel the raw angst like a nail being driven into your skull.

It moves on, at pace. Taking you through the trials and tribulations of training a "Gos". The sheer folly of taking on such a task, the bond between human and bird. I know very little about raptors, but what I do know, is that when out fishing they are always a pleasure to see.

Recently I saw our local Peregrine, soaring above the tree tops. That piecing call on the breeze, like a mournful cry, going down the valley. It never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

This book  has opened up a whole new world to me, for those that are as passionate as the author in there love for these birds. It's a look into her world, her life and struggle to move on, as moving as any book that I've had the privilege to read. At times seemingly, I was face to face with those soulful amber eyes, as if I was being dismissed, totally and utterly by a glaring Hawk.




Buy it, open the cover, sit back and read something that is very special, uplifting and like no other book that sits on our book shelf.


Be Lucky


Monty D

14 comments:

  1. For goodness sake, it's 'father' and 'raptor' ! Yours, the Pedant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, amended now, bloody automatic spell check ;-0

      Delete
  2. With a review like that I had to buy it...... so I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      I could not sleep last Friday, seldom do when Denise is on nights. I thought just one quick chapter to set the tone, I was still reading when she came home.

      I'm sure you will love it. I hope it does not spawn a nation of "Rude Bwoys", to ditch their macho dogs and start on with a Hawk ;-0.

      Enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Mate of a mate hunts with a hawk at night - lamping. That's got to be addictive :o) And I saw a man in Whitby with an owl on his hat so maybe the trend has started.

      Enjoy your hols.

      Delete
    3. Dave,

      Tell your mate he can lamp in my back garden, on the foxes the poxy things shit every where :-(

      Delete
  3. Wifey and I were bought a days hawking at the Bird of Prey Centre, Newent about 12 years ago. A group of about 10 of us went out with Harris Hawks after rabbit, or want have yow.

    Unfortunately we caught nowt. Although it was a nice day for a blank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ying,

      Sounds good that mate, I can envisage you with a large bird on your arm ;-0

      Delete
  4. You've met the current Mrs Ying then.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.blippitt.com/most-viral-video-ever-one-billion-youtube-views-video/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It shall be purchased Monty old chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful plumage!!!

      Delete
    2. Sure is, here is Mabel.

      http://fretmarks.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete