Monday, 16 June 2014

Does It Count?

Today was a total change for me to start this river season, I decided to fish with lures and target the large Perch that inhabit this particular river. Lure fishing is something that became of interest to me, at the back end of last season. So in that respect it is all new to me, lot's to learn. I've caught plenty of three pound plus Perch before, but mainly with worms and live Minnows. But I wanted to explore the river more as opposed to fishing static.

The river looked stunning today, but was totally over grown, you had to cut your way down to the waterside. I fancied a swim that has produced the goods for me in the past and set up with a Hammer swim bait, for the first twenty minutes nothing. Then a brief hook up, that came adrift after a couple of seconds. Casting back out and twitching the bait back past some tree roots, the rod gave a knock and a good Perch was on. I bullied the fish a little, the fish came to the top quickly and you can never tire of seeing a large Perch flank in those vibrant colours. She was pushing three pounds I thought and netted her.

I left the net in the water, got the camera and scales ready and went to lift her out. The net was by now empty! It took a couple of seconds of my gawping to understand what had happened, the line was going through a hole in the net, that in my haste to set up I had not noticed. Playing the fish in the conventional manner was now out of the question, I hand lined the fish up, I could feel a jag, jag, jag as she shook her head. The fish was now out of the water, I was so near and then she flipped and the hook pulled and splosh, she was gone.

Now those who know me, could no doubt understand the expletives that littered the air like confetti. June the 16th, miles from anywhere, a lost fish and a hole in the net and it was not even seven o'clock. I had to do a patch up job with some braid.



I made such a complete bollocks up of that swim I decided to move, as you can see every area fished had to be battered down to access the river, stung by nettles to hell and back.




Only one more fish made an attempt, that was a small jack that slashed at my bait on the shallows and missed. I fished on until noon, but retired utterly knackered, covered in sweat and pollen. So I'm not sure I can count the one that got away ? Sure she was in the net, very briefly obviously, but she was not unhooked by my fair hand, no photo's just a memory of the one that passed me by. So I'm of the opinion it does not count.

Still with a river like this to fish and not another soul about for miles, just deer and  the bird life to keep me company, your not find me complaining, well maybe just a little for my crass stupidity.








Not the auspicious start I had in mind, many things to learn with this lure game, but all together it was still a nice way to spend a Monday morning.


Be Lucky.


Monty D


16 comments:

  1. Seems to me this married-life malarky you finally got yersel' into has befuddled the thinking bits (under the 'pilgarlic'!). Sort yersel' out Monty, dear boy, and have a good check of the important tackle afor you cock-up again. Having said that, I do have some semblance of sympathy with you as I am wont to travel to Biggun's place for a coupla days session.....without any change of skiddies and stuff.... and without the necessay fishing tackle an' all, Keep Well and sane, same to Lady D.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      I have not got a clue how the hole in the net happened, it was not their, well I think not, when I put the the thing away. And how I missed it today, lord only knows.

      Keep well ;-0

      Delete
  2. Fantastic venue mucker, proper perch heaven. I go with the big game fishing rule that touching the leader makes it count as a catch so your involuntary release was after the capture and it definitely counts. The weight is just a side issue, you had a lovely fish on opening day, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Now you put it like that, I may change me view :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done mate,
    Of course it counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren,

      I assumed you started at "Fight Club" ?, hope it went well ;-0

      Delete
  4. Technically your net hadn't so much gained a hole as lost some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still at a bloody loss as to how it happened?

      Delete
  5. Super result Monty. Catch and release at its finest I say. Of course it counts and now you know you can catch the big stripeys ones on lures you'll do it again no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      Catch and release good call, I still like to lay on and watch a float go under. But thought I would try something different for a while. Bloody hard work though when the banks are so over grown.

      I could not get to where I wanted to be, will have another go this weekend.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. Everything was 7 foot tall on my stretch. Sitting and watching a float seems a better option when it's that hard.

      Delete
  6. Nice result Monty. A three pound river perch is my dream fish, as you know. I hope to get out at some stage over the next couple of weeks on the Wye after chub and maybe 'Old Boris'. Tight lines for the season mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben,

      As I said earlier, pick a mutually agreeable date say late September to mid November and get over for a day. I'll see If I can track the Perch down prior, though they seem to show in the same areas year after year. Fish for them how you want.

      I know Yessling is coming over, though no dates have been discussed yet. Though a mate of mine to have a 3.6lb Perch from the Red Lion stretch of your local river a few years back. Maybe give that a whirl too ?

      Good luck when ever you get out.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Monty, that sounds like a good plan! October time would be great.

    I do have a couple of areas in mind on my local river that I'll be trying later this season. I fancy a big pike too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well in Monty, shame that it found the one hole big enough to fit through, sods law that is, but you had fair and square, photo or no photo, you know you had it that's all that counts, good luck for the season and no doubt you'll find some more. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. James,

    Cheers, my mate tells me your local river is being hammered by floating weed and is an odd colour ? Strange that at this time of year. No fishing for me this weekend, problems in work and that's where I'm off to now. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete