Saturday, 1 March 2014

Monty's Lament

Well what winter for many of us this has turned out to be, bleak would be a good way to describe it. Not managing to get out at all in February owing to work and family gatherings, today's trip was being looked forward with relish all week. Until last night when the rain arrived on Que to throw another spanner in the works.

Gruff and I chose a different venue to my last session in the hope of finding some big Perch, that dwell in this particular beat. But it was up and flying through again and in truth with normal winter conditions the rain we had, would seldom have such an adverse effect on the water level .Standing water still adorn the fields and every step you took a sodden foot print was left.

We tried finding a few slacks but no luck prevailed.




I only had one chance, a small Jack launched itself skyward as I lifted the lure out of the water, startling itself as it went airborne. Casting in this area proved fruitless and others areas proved  barren of fish life today also. Gruff at least had his string pulled, here he is bent into another good specimen.



Alas for Gruff it turned into another branch. The river bed here seemed to be festooned with all manner of branches after the winter we have just endured.



So why the lament?  The sun shone today and it was lovely to be out although fish less, it was a pleasure, but the dreaded close season is around the corner. I have been reading a thread on Fishing Magic where this is being discussed. Me, well I have always been in favor of the close season, for no other reason than I like tradition. But now, well for purely selfish reasons I would like to see it changed.  The last few winters many of us have missed months of river fishing, and I for one would love to be able to cast a line in the Spring on running water for coarse fish. As I say purely for selfish reasons but I can live with that. The fishing season seems to pass with an equine like speed, with seldom enough angling done. So come on Mr EA, how about a rethink?

I may cast a line again in the next two weeks, but if conditions do not improve then I will retreat up high on Yat Rock until later in the year.

Random irritations part one.

I have done twenty eight Doppelgangers now and there are still plenty more ,but as we get older things tend to chaff at our minds that little bit more.

This really irritates me. Why oh why when you have one pistachio nut left in the packet, does it have to be closed. How do you get the little fucker open without smashing the thing into pieces? Not impressed in the slightest.

Bad Nut!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Be Lucky.


Monty D.

3 comments:

  1. I tend to find the last hazel nut is always 'off' and leaves a bad taste - metaphor for life really. Take it on the chin old son.

    If you want to catch a few give this place a go http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-26382288
    they've also taken roach to over 2lbs!

    And the close season? Give us at least until the 1st of April and I think most would be happy. Me, I'm not that fussed, there's some big carp with my name on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    All is good in the world today,a club I belong too lost some water this season owing to lease issues.

    I found out today,as from next season we have our full compliment of waters again.I even woke Lady D up to tell her the good news,not the best move as she has been on nights;-0

    As for the Carp I hope it's better than last season for you.

    ReplyDelete