Sunday, 9 June 2013

New Season Beckons

Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped in my local tackle emporium,to grab a few bits and bobs for the fourth coming season.The days of buying loads and loads of tackle in readiness has passed.When I look in my various bags and ruck sacks,packets of unused hooks wink back at me,a plethora of feeders and lead lay there unused.I must like many,have spent hundreds of pounds over the years on "stuff" that I just do not need.I spent a princely sum yesterday of £21.05.

But as ever I am excited for the start of the river season.Why running water as opposed to lakes and ponds,that enthralls me so much.I'm not sure a definitive reason can be conveyed as to why that is the case.Living here in Surrey,we have a wealth of lakes to go at,but very few light my fire.The majority are aimed at Carp anglers and that species had me in it's grip in my much younger years.I'm now to long in the tooth to bivvie up,preferring short sessions that can fit around the real world that encroaches upon our pastime with more frequency as the years progress.

I think the reason I love river angling so much is that in that it enables me to loose myself.You can if you walk far enough,find solitude.Away from other anglers,just you and nature.Day dreaming the hours away while the water passes you by,interrupted on the odd occasions by a screeching ratchet.A nod on the rod tip,the vanishing of a float.

I'm sure that most of us river anglers share these sentiments and more besides.A client of mine said that humans are 95% water so he can understand why we are drawn to a river.He is a dry fly addict,casting on the Test and the Itchen,he tells me that as soon as he is on the beat only then can he relax.

I've stuck a few photos up from the back catalog,that I'm sure we all have.

My favorite spot. 


Winter

My PB from a few years back.

My mate Mr.DD playing Rugby with a nice Perch.

Crap photo,I was shacking after an immense fight from this fish caught in a summer flood.

What would I like from the fourth coming season?As ever I'll be trying for a four pound plus Perch and a twenty plus Pike from the river would be nice.I'll be doing more Barbel fishing this summer,as the last few seasons the species was neglected somewhat by me.

And really just to have a few laughs with mates along the way,share their elation at great captures and also laugh at their misfortunes.Next weekend Gruff and I are off to the Severn,more of a opening night social really.If we blank who cares,we have to be away by around 0700 as it's Fathers Day.A fair old jaunt for a few hours fishing,but I cannot wait!

I'll wish you all a good and memorable season,lets hope the weather is kinder,much kinder than the last one.


Be Lucky.

Monty D.

11 comments:

  1. "emporium"? Yer a ponce Mont. ;-)

    Father's day 'interfering' with my 16th, but may sneak out anyway...happy 16th everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Emporium" I was in my Homer Simpson mode.By the way can you email me my log in details for the PBTW?God knows I've tried to log in recently,but drawn a blank.:-)

      Delete
  2. It's come around quickly again hasn't it? Tight lines for the new season Monty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you too Ben,also I have not forgotten your "Ganger".Been really pushed for time of late,though I will endeavor to try and post it up next week.Though it's not really a facial likeness,more of "that hat'.;-0

      Delete
    2. Superb, I look forward to seeing it Monty. The hat has now been put away until the winter!

      Delete
  3. Some lovely pictures there, all the best for the new season mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too mark and now it's off to work ;-(

      Delete
  4. Ying said.....See yow and Gruff on Saturday, shag. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked Metcheck mate,another wet,very wet start to the season.Let's hope it is wrong:-(

      Delete
  5. Beautifully expressed lover, you really are after that GSC place aren't you :o)

    I hope the season get's off to a good start although my last three fish spotting visits have recorded more peregrines than barbel - not a good sign.

    Good luck for the new season

    Dave
    (The chub angler)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not normal piss taking service will be resumed soon ;-0

      Delete