Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Hats

Tiffters,do or can they change the way you fish.Can they make you a better angler,are you a baseball cap kinda guy,like those lads from Korda.Do you hanker after a "Floppy Hat" as it makes you look like your in touch with nature,you yearn to amble the banks festooned in tweed.Knowing that by dressing thus,your head and shoulders above other anglers who wear and god forbid it,jeans and training shoes.

Well getting home from work today the girls have bought me this little number.And boy oh boy do I look a bigger tit than usual.Please excuse the work shirt still on,it's the only way I can muster some dignity.For one the hat is a size to large,secondly,well I look like I should be sectioned and I could not face that a second time.Once bitten twice shy and all that.But I hope it may bring me luck this fourth coming season.At least other anglers should give me a wide birth and walk away muttering"Fooking tosser".

Tit.
And keeping with hats,fellow blogger Ben Hennesy.Ben when I looked at your photo a few months back,this image popped into my head immediately.I know,I know it must be that "special" side of my brain that sees such things.But well,it made I chuckle and chuckling at ones owns jokes is a nod in the direction of madness.







Many know I like a bet or horse racing in general.I can watch and enjoy it without having a punt.Sadly Sir Henry Cecil passed away today aged 70 after a long battle with stomach cancer.Now Sir Henry was what some would say a "Toff".Born into money etc,but watching him on TV over my lifetime he always came across,as someone I would like to share a pint with.It's daft I know,how many people will you never meet,whom you think"I'd like to share an hour in your company in a bar".He was always warm,witty and loved his "clobber",one of those three is me.

I'm just glad he stayed around long enough to see Frankel retire unbeaten.Frankel is going great guns in stud now too.87% of mares he has covered this past year are in foal,it would be superb to see a foal born,mature and go onto great things.Maybe with the name Sir.Henry.A fitting epitaph to a man who had an up and down life,often filled with sadness that ultimately gave others great joy.Who not would want that,to leave a legacy that people could say"He had is hard times,but by Christ I'll never forget him"






Be Lucky.

Monty D

19 comments:

  1. Nice hat - terrible shirt.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      I'll point you in the direction of the reply from Jeff.Do try and be helpful in future ;-0

      Delete
  2. Monty, in my world if you ain't wearing the right hat you'll catching not a thing worth going out for.

    I'm seriously convinced that a good fishing hat is worth its weight in gold. They take ages to bed in though, so you'll just have to suck it and see with the new titfer. I'd suggest predigestion. Leave it out in the sun and rain for a week, then trample it in the mud, fill it up and breed tadpoles in it, dry it out, then see how it sits on the bonce.

    It should be be fit for some purpose after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      Said hat is about to be deposited outside now,while I leave for work insightful as ever ;-0

      Delete
    2. I'm looking about for a new beanie hat right now, Monty. Not an easy task when most make you look ridiculous, like those in Tesco last night. OK on the shelf, but on the head...? Tricky hats to wear.

      I lost my Jack Pike version but they discontinued it meanwhile. Can't find another for love nor money...

      Delete
    3. Beanie hats make me look like Bennie from Crossroads:-(

      Delete
    4. I have your Jack Pike hat Hatt.

      Delete
    5. So you do Keith, I'll have pop round to you and collect it

      Delete
  3. I always liked Sir Henry, a genius horseman and a very engaging character, his flaws made him all the more human.
    Prince Khalid Abdullah deserves credit for sticking by him whilst most of Sir Henry's other owners jumped shipped when he was at a such low ebb in his career. Reminds me of conversation I once had with an old client of mine (RIP), a lovely old country landowning gentleman who owned a string of racehorses which he kept with the same trainer. During conversation it transpired that his horses were all running badly and had been for some considerable time. I asked him if he'd considered sending some of them to a different trainer, venturing that perhaps a change of scenery might revive their flagging fortunes. "Certainly not" he retorted, "a gentleman may change his wife, his estate or his club, but not his trainer!" They don't make them like that any more.

    Re the new Titfer, all you need do is grow some 'bugger grips' and you'll be a 10/10 young(er) Stef Horak doppelgänger...you've got the smile perfected :)

    Tight lines for the new season.

    Joe 90

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,

      That's not a smile,it's a grimace.I was constipated.Glad you liked Sir.Henry too.;-0

      Delete
  4. Monty, you’ve nailed it! It’s the grimace as much as the smurf hat I think, excellent - it certainly raised a chuckle in the Hennessy household.

    I just can’t get on with hats in general, I always look like a plonker. But Jeff is right of course – without the right hat on, you’re catching nowt. For years I wore a horrible grey and red baseball cap, simply because if I went fishing without it it meant a blank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben,

      Glad it made you smile,it's good to be able to laugh at each other.Life is far to stern at times ;-0

      Delete
    2. It did indeed Monty. Never a truer word spoken.

      Delete
  5. The most essential part of ones equipment is a nice fishing hat, some of us suit one better than others of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time you trod the banks JW Martin was still writing ;-0.

      Ps Spanish fishing does not count.

      Delete
  6. Re; hat. I truly don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy the Kings Monty and the fishing. I am sure you will. Its a great place.

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did,it was a blast.A 300 hundred odd round mile trip for five hours fishing.We left at 0500 and got back home at 0730.

      As you know a strict publicity ban in enforced on this water,so no blogging about opening night.A great shame,as it would have been mildly amusing.

      A seal and a fly away brolly for starters.Oh well never mind.;-0

      Delete