Saturday, 8 December 2012

The Beast From The East

The "Beast from the East" those are the portents from the weather gods for next week,it would appear we are about to be hit by some very inclement weather.I don't know about you but this past week I have found it bone rattling cold.Hell the South East of the country had a whole two centimeters of snow on Wednesday,that caused chaos on the trains and roads.It made me laugh,as on Tuesday the rail company's said they were "Ready for everything mother nature could produce and they would run empty trains all night if need be to keep the tracks clear".That plan worked well then did it not?Still after all this time I should not really be surprised,at how dreadful we are as a nation when faced with a drop of the white stuff.So anyway Gruff and I headed across country today from Surrey and into Sussex.Now Gruff has put in a few hours on this collection of lakes recently and caught some nice Pike,so today I was expectant of some action in my first trip out for a few weeks.


A nice mild morning and the thermometer gauge showed a sultry two degrees on arrival,at just before seven o'clock.Gruff chose to fish two ledgerd  dead baits,one Mackerel the other a Herring,I chose to float ledger with Herrings.Gruff had a tentative and stuttering take just after eight o'clock that stopped before it had even got going.His next run came belting towards him but alas he failed to connect.My float fished baits did not get a mention.Now we were chatting,as you do as to why.All Gruff's fish of late have come to ledgerd baits,while no action has taken place on the float rigs.I do like to float fish If I can,I just enjoy watching a float slide away or not as the case may be at present.Perhaps on these venues the Pike like a bait hard on the deck,something I will not do on the float,as fishing too over depth on the float has in the past led to a couple of fishing taking the hooks lower than I like.Or does it just happen to be the way they are feeding at present and that may change on the next visit.



Gruff's bite alarms never sounded again for the rest of the day,my floats were not to move.Around noon I got the Jerk Bait rod out and worked the water,maybe that would succeed in a take or just wake some fish up around our baits.

All the skill of a performing Bear.

All to no avail.No fish caught and more questions than answers.I love these new venues that KCI showed to us(where were you today mate)? Peaceful and some stunning countryside though a steep learning curve seems to be in the offing.We still had a laugh today,putting the worlds to rights as you do.Chuckling away at the latest postings on Fatwa,the home of god knows what these days.Perhaps they are gearing up for a Christmas Panto.One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest maybe,who knows.But keep it up lads as the site owner loves the HUGE audience and stuff the content;-0

So that is the fishing done and dusted.My Saturday under the pain of death will be to cook dinner and pour the wine for Lady D,while she watches the X Factor "Grand Final".Oh and of course I must not make any snide comments about the great acts that are on show.Well only this one.......If this Scouse Twat wins I give up.




Upton Park for me tomorrow and our home game against Liverpool and with no star player for the mighty'Pool.Will we win,well after our great result last weekend against Chelsea that I predicted elsewhere;-0.I will plump for a draw in this fixture.Only seven more days at work now until the Christmas break,so hopefully the "Beast from the East" is not to bad as I have lots of fishing to fit in.It was great to get back out today.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Be Lucky

Monty D





3 comments:

  1. Change of lucky hat is needed monty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blank and a home loss - hope next weekend is better for you lover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is fine it's the non sinking float that concerns me.Is it jinxed?

    Dave,

    Next weekend is Christmas food and drink shopping.It will be brutal.

    ReplyDelete