Saturday, 27 October 2012

Lab Rats

Lab Rats,that was the task bestowed upon Gruff and I today as we ventured across from Surrey and into deepest Sussex,to fish with the legend that is the Sussex Hermit,Mr.Kevin Colston-Iles.Now I have not seen KCI for nearly two and a half years.His job and shift pattern see him mostly fish midweek.KCI will not thank me for this........But he has a list of large species that will make most people drool with envy,he has caught and caught well over the years.He was on the scene back in the day on the Medway in the mid 90s,when it started to produce large Barbel.He is without a shadow of a doubt the best angler I know,but also has a wicked and dry sense of humor.But we were needed to try and catch a few Pike,so the old fish chaser could find some hot spots and send us packing.

A Blot on the Barbel Scene Hoodie
He has this season been catching large Carp from this venue after a hiatus of twenty years,but asked Gruff and I along for a days Pike fishing.A lovely looking lake it was too,I'm sorry I cannot name the venue,well I'm not really as loose lips sink ships and all that.Arriving at first light it was a cold morning,I was wrapped up well against a cold and biting wind.Notice I did not say "Layer System" as this seems to be the new buzz phrase over on Fatwa,it is as if,they have just patented this phrase.It's "Layer System This, Layer System That".Sheep springs to mind.




Small Water Fall 
As it was a bit of a social,time to catch up and have a chat we set up in fairly close proximity to each other.I was sandwiched in the middle.Gruff had the first action with a screaming take that dropped off quickly.Typical Gruff response and a string of expletives littered the Sussex countryside.You just cannot take him anywhere.Much mirth from KCI and I,but god can the man scowl when he looses a fish.Not to worry he was soon into another fish that tailed walked and shook her head and gave us a great show.Safely netted and weighed and a nice mid double was photographed and slipped back. 



Next up was KCI and a small Jack that at first thought it was a large Pike such was the way the float shot away at speed.After this fish,KCI lost another while my baits were unmolested all day.I was getting some right stick,but when you have two people fishing either side of you,your bound to struggle right?



Now the weather forecast promised a lovely sunny day,but around noon it started to pour with rain,the kind that the wind brings straight into your face.So as well as blanking,I was getting soaked too,not fun.But the  two chaps kept up their barbed comments up until we packed up.Thank you lads it was very welcome being made aware of my short comings!A smashing venue,cracking wind ups and an all round nice session.And we will see you in a few weeks mate as Gruff and I can't wait to get back.

Lastly this made me laugh in the week from Wednesdays Times.With the Jimmy Saville affair making the headlines and the Badger cull being put back,Peter Brooks has again come up with another well observed cartoon.He is in my opinion bang on the money with this one. 



Enjoy the rest of your weekend and if you are on the bank tight lines.

Be Lucky


Monty D

18 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed yourself mate!
    Seriously, you have got me well wrong about my Angling skills, I am an a "jammy basket" granted
    but I enjoy the challenge of "the chase" and never get tired of trying to working out the puzzles!
    will have to make sure we do it all again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got your own blog now then mate,it should be good;-0

      Delete
    2. I am going to give it a bash mate, it will never be as good as this one of yours, this place has a great style about it!
      I started it just as a place to scribe some personal thoughts about various subjects and opinions that come to my mind,I always seem to be surrounded by people who don't understand a lot of my rambling thoughts when I speak them out loud....fishing matters like bloody forums, things that happen to me in life...small things that are good or bad but are worth scrolling on the interweb just so I can record my views.
      I decided to start it for myself and I'm not worried if others either read or not.

      Delete
  2. Sussex must be posh if Gruffs got his plus fours on.

    Nice write up Monty, it's not all about catching fish.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil,

      Thats not Gruff but the legend that is KCI.;-0

      Delete
  3. Shame to have graced Sussex and blanked but I think you enjoyed it none the less Monty. No lucky hat? What a noble gesture, very sporting ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies Monty n Gruff thought he'd just trimmed down a bit :-)

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trimmed down a bit Phil, but bloody hell man KCI weighs in at about ten stone wet through with a pocket full of two bob bits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard,

    The lucky hat has been burnt;-0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn!! Should've signed in afore I replied!! It's disappeared into the ether!

    Try again... There's a lad in Nth.Lincs will be ammused to read that an old adversary of his has been cut to pieces and now resides in KCI's pockets!!LoL!

    Whilst watching MoD last night, I wondered whether you had ever considered the Royals manager as an alternative 'doppleganger' for onself, as the trend of DG's seems to have dried up on here of late.

    Nice to read of a decent day out with friends, with some favoured with sport and one not... some folk would deign to report such failure methinks. It has been the norm this week though, with myself and the large gentleman both not troubling the netsman, as you've probably heard.

    That was abit of a liberty at Wigan wasn't it?

    Keep well,
    Immus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sussex Piscatorials say......You're blackballed for life, Colston-Iles !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blackballed for life at the interrogation point I'm afraid!.....who needs em anyway!

      Delete
    2. You know that was the Forest Boy don't you mate;-0

      Delete
  9. Looks like a lovely place, I'm sure you'll crack it next time mucker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oz,

    A client did liken me to the Reading manager.I have a few Doppelgängers ready and waiting,but have not had the time.As for West Ham yesterday,a mate said we were dreadful and did not warrant anything from the game.I did speak to Biggun in the week and he was coy.

    Anon,

    It's not a Sussex Piscatorial water,as we all know they have a complete publicity ban;-)

    Dave,

    Cracking place and Gruff and I are thinking of getting a ticket to join this place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its good for the soul too have a day out with your mates enduring a bit of friendly fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom,

    I prefer to be the one doing the fireing ;-0

    ReplyDelete