Friday, 17 August 2012

Dog Days Of Summer

The "Dog Days Of Summer",who invented that phrase and what does it mean?That was on my mind in work yesterday when I mulled over what to fish for today.I did fancy a Barbel or two,but with the temperatures on the up and up this past week I thought better of it.It's about 28 degrees down here today and looking to hit 32 over the weekend.I'm not about to go all "Fatwa"on those who do fish for Barbel when it's red hot,but it's not for me.I had one go belly up a few seasons back,followed the correct protocol as decreed by the Barbel Society,rest the fish in the net before unhooking etc and after two hours nursing the fish in the river,it's eyes went from amber to grey and she went belly up.Not a nice experience,I reckon it happens more than we think?

So I decided to have a mornings trotting,grabbed two pints of whites on the way home yesterday.The weather forecast said only a ten percent chance of precipitation,so I left the brolly at home but did fling in a poncho just in case.

I arrived around half past six and settled for a pool to trot through above this shallow area,it's the same above for about 70 yards,then leaving a nice area of about 40 yards of steady water to run the float through.


The first hour was a blast,pissing with rain for ten minutes grab the Poncho,struggle to get it over your head while trying not to break your glasses,rain stops,rain starts.Stops,starts,Poncho on,Poncho off.I felt like the Karate Fecking Kid.Needless to say I did not get a bite until thankfully the rain stopped,when I could concentrate.

The next four hours flew by,more or less every run through resulted in a bite,I was Marks,Pickering,Barlow and Clegg all rolled into one.In my minds eye I was on "Hooked" that I used to watch as a child in the 70's.Final tally was six Chub all about this stamp,Roach and Dace aplenty.Today was the first time in years I wished I owned a keepnet,it may have made a nice photo of a great mornings fishing.Packed up around noon as by now it was bloody hot.



Now tomorrow Gruff is taking our new boat out to test her "SeaWorthiness".So if anyone is around the Walton-on-Thames area around noon and you come across this,this will be the good ship "Gruff".Good luck though mate,lets hope all goes well and we can fish from her next weekend.



Lastly,the football is back on Saturday,I'll be at Upton Park for our game against the Villa.Is there a nicer place to be on a hot August Saturday,than drinking outside a decrepit boozer on the Barking Road,with piss water for beer?I can think of a few,but the first game is always a laugh,a draw I reckon.

Arsenal fans have gone a bit quiet though.Anyway it's Friday I'm off to meet Lady D from work and have a cupla pints.Enjoy your weekend.


Be Lucky

Monty D

11 comments:

  1. "Dog days of Summer"....

    Here's an informative link for you Monty; kinda believable, sorta 'tongue-in-cheek', maybe?

    http://wilstar.com/dogdays.htm

    Nice session this morning.... is Thursday the new 'poets' day down your way then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for the link,it made sense kind of ;-0.I saw Biggun at Victoria on Wednesday,on a break from driving.He looks class in his uniform.

    Poets day is every day in my life ;-0.I love fishing on a Friday,sets you up for the weekend.

    Be lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the game Specki boy, its a shoe in that the claret and blues will get some points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monty,

    I'd heard you had seen the large fellow, though he wasn't quite as complimentary as to your sartorial elegance.... well he was, all but the cerise (pink) shirt.

    I guess the early starts each day make for 'poets' day finishes, been there done that, except for the early finishes. Seems the long, long working days and very short nights have stayed wi' me though, 5-6 hours is more than enough these days. Ah, but Velux bedroom windows may have summat to do with that, with the endless downpors from above..... helluva noisy, what!

    Big Sam just might win you over this season, you nivver know, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,

    Hope we don't loose or I'll Carl Salter yaking in my ear in a few weeks time.

    Oz,

    I'm always in the office by 0700,so when my works done I'm off.Been with this firm 12 years last week,so I can kind of get a way with a few things ;-0.

    The shirt was from Hackett,Biggun no doubt thinks they are a cough sweet ;-0.

    That's me I'm off to the station,factor 50 on my noggin though.Hot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the start Monty, and hurry up and lend us Maynard for the season!
    Hopping on the train to Leeds shortly for our opening day fixture against Wolves, with talks of Sheiks still rumbling in the distance. Life is never dull as a Leeds fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob,

    Good start for us both,watched your game in the pub prior to ours.Colin takes you up?Thanks for the text today and enjoy your season on the pitch and the river.

    As for us,Villa were poor.We were just humping the ball forward.And we won,three points is three points though.


    Be lucky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bit of a bollocks up mate. Unfortunately the boat didn’t make the river. The trailer or rather the suspension let us down. Serves me right for buying cheap Ebay shite. No matter, no damage to the boat or car and we made it home OK. New units ordered and a slight design flaw in the mounting of the winch to be rectified. It may run into September before all is ready for the inaugural dangle. Best be through bud, we don’t want Lizzy and Lady Di fighting over the insurance money do we.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Arsenal fans have gone a bit quiet though."

    Never!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wheel on well actually two brand new wheels and indispension units on. Hopefully get the winch problem sorted Monday and may just take her for a dip in the afternoon if I get my arse in gear mate.

    ReplyDelete