Friday, 18 May 2012

Night Walk

As many will know Chris Yates recently had a new book published by Collins,his first I believe that excludes all things piscatorial.Sure he did get a few angling quips in but not many.In essence it's a book that extols the virtue of night walking.

Yates takes you as ever,into his world.He strides fourth from his cottage one summers evening just as dusk approaches and sets off through woods,meadows,up hill and down dale to experience,the thrill of being out alone in the English countryside at night.

I read this book on the daily commute to and from work,it's not a hard read or a long book encompassing just 214 pages spread over 26 chapters.On the way we the reader are drawn in as Yates tells us of birdsong,nocturnal noises,various animals that he stumbles across and just his love seemingly, for being a little dotty to be out in the dark,at night without any kind of artificial light.My favorite chapter was when he was eye to eye with a Hare,I really felt like those eyes were staring at me too.

Would I recommend it?Well yes if you are a dreamer like me.I think Yates is the consummate story teller and by having a non angling book published it will hopefully bring him a much wider audience and with a publisher like Collins he should achieve that.But I would love to think he has a few more angling tomes in him yet.The book itself in my opinion is written in a similar style of How to Fish.


Now to a quick plug for a fire sale.I have plenty of these on offer at present..............


I've been sent these from my good friends at the Barbel Society,as from this coming season night fishing is no longer allowed on the Bransford stretch of the Teme.Still you chaps who travel some distance to fish this venue,sleep in the car as some wag on the committee suggested.You know it makes sense.

Wembley for me tomorrow and I cant wait,it's been a while.I know one lad who has flown over from Perth in Australia for the game.Breakfast in Witherspoons at London Victoria around 0900,then onto a pub in Finchley,then onto the game.Win or loose I'll enjoy the day out and I wont sleep tonight,no honest.

But this is my West Ham,from my formative years.It cant really be 37 years since my Dad took me to my first game.No wonder I'm F******g bald following this lot.Every key note stirs a memory,looking around a ghostly ground I can see where we stood and laughed and maybe lamented.Some will be all together tomorrow,others who were taken before there time will not.




Enjoy your weekend,I'll be at Marsh Farm in the week for some Crucians as all my chores are done so I can now get back to some fishing.Oh and I've got my Kennet syndicate ticket back and I cannot wait to get back on here.

Be Lucky

Monty D


16 comments:

  1. Have a great day, Monty, with the attitude that it'll be a great day out and the win'll be a nice bonus.... what are the respective odds btw?

    Raise a glass or two to the absent friends and enjoy, good luck,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up and about and already Mike.Been a fidgeting all night so Lady D says.;-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the day Monty and hopefully a win :-)

    Phil

    As for Bransford, seems the old addage of onwards and downwards is rather apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right that's me I'm off out.Absolutely buzzing........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better get celebrating, Hammers back in the top flight, I bet that has made your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Monty, suppose we'll get a write up when the head clears eh !
    Should be Tuesday by then :-)
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got home around 2100hrs,sat on the sofa and promplty fell asleep.Blackpool were I thought the better side,but there finishing was poor.

    We got lucky,but we won.Also with Chelsea winning last night it means S***s miss out on the Champions League.All in all a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How's your head this morning? Demoted to the Premiership and another season of mediocrity, you must be gutted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm fine,did not get pissed up.To far to travel home from Wembley busting for a pee ;-0.

    We will struggle next season on the back of yesterdays performance.Double edged sword,stay in the Championship and win games.Get promoted,get hammerd but get the cash.

    I now must crack on,as I need to pop up to my local tackle emporium and get my bits and bobs for the new season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you will avoid further humiliating defeats at the hands of the mighty Owls Monty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have to admit that being a Reading supporter, I am hoping for six points off the hammers next season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tony,

    Yep the Owls are now up I guess you want the Blades to go up as well this Saturday?

    Mark,

    Reading were the best side we played last season,I'm sure you will be OK.

    Works nearly done and its a nice sunny day so I'll meet the better half in the pub on the way home.Nice to see some sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the Premiership Monty. But please have a little sympathy for the Spurs supporters.

    Ok less than a little if you must!!

    I may be buying one of those nightlites for Downton.

    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought 'Nightwalk' on your recommendation Monty (well, I've got everything else Chris has written) and a very good read it is too, makes me want to go for a midnight stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dave,

    I suggest you lead the team from the Red Lion,at midnight in September ;-)

    ReplyDelete