Wednesday, 15 February 2012

February Barbel

I was going to cast a line last Saturday but the overnight temperature dipped to a very cold -10 and with the wind chill metcheck said it was more like -15 when we arrived home at around midnight.I woke up with a monumental hangover after being out to dinner with a few family members,so decided to give it the proverbial,we settled for a day at home watching old movies.One Upon a Time in America,My Fair Lady and I kid you not............Paint Your Wagon.

I did though have a mornings fishing today as the weather has changed completely,mild temps and some rain moving in as from Sunday.I fancied chancing my arm for a Barbel.I've not fished for this most contentious(If you are an internet forum warrior) of species for a while.But I knew where I wanted to fish,as in the past,well over the last ten years or so a certain swim tends to produce at this time of year.The swim sits at the tail end of some fast water and has a solid gravel bottom and a good depth right under your feet.But you have to be very deliberate in your actions as you are fishing from and old tree really,the vibrations when you move about I'm sure are projected underwater water and Barbel being the most intelligent and fickle of creatures are very susceptible to anything that is maybe "Not Kosher"? Surprised they ever get caught if you read some of the Mensa like bilge that get's published.I gently lowered a bait upstream,with a light lead and some Hi-Nu-Val paste,infused with the essence of Big Bill Cottams finest black pepper essential oil and I await the free bait in the post Billy boy.I sat back to see what transpired and enjoyed this view..........
Two hours passed and Lady Dalrymple was getting inpatient to get home,yep she came along today.She got a little pissed last night,as I plied her with booze in between reciting sonnets on that most special of days,the" Clinton Card Mug You Off Day" and wanted to to join me on the bank.She looked resplendent in my bib and brace,woolly hat and other fine fishing attire.I on the other hand was a tad chilly,but love is love as we all know,right?As Mr.Rocca said.........."Bleeding hell son,you'll be getting married soon,taking a women fishing?I stopped that when Faye started catching more than me and making me look a Pratt".

I did have the one bite,no indication prior,no little dinks or colly wobbles on the tip.Just a gentle pull round that held it's position,as if the hallowed thinking mans fish was weighing up the pros and cons of upstream or down?And will the Greeks default on the Euro?And before you knew it this little chap of around five pounds was landed.I've bronzed out both photo's as I read in the week on a forum and I quote........"With the temps on the up,will the bronze warrior start to feed".Here's a tip from Yat Rock,hot bath and some sharp blades,Clemenza had the balls and so should you.Happy with the fish though all jokes aside,and may have another go on Sunday?

Football again and very quickly.........Rangers going into administration,if they can so can an awful lot of clubs.I've heard a whisper we are under review too?Wolves(Boing,Boing,Baggies)are in the market for a new manger after sacking Bob Roberts,ooops I mean Mick Maccarthy.To loose to your main rivals at home 1-5 must hurt.I've heard the BardofBridgenorth is still refusing to answer text messages(unlike Rich I've never been so down Frampton) and the Bard has promised not to eat another pie until they get into the top six?I can see Bob Geldorf worrying about yow Stevo.And here we have my last word on that nice saggy chops.....



Be Lucky.

Monty D

Edit......God knows why the formatting has changed on the written text?Played about with it,just guess I'm fuk as fick.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was Frankie Pentangeles who cut himself, not Fat Clemenza, you berk.

    Nice post by the way, Mr Loverman.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right for sure........Clemenza was shot in the lift?Old age Ying and the mind doth play tricks.Just ask Gruff,he get's April muddled with the Somme ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clemenza? Pentangeles? Are they from bfw???

    Lovely blog Mr D, firing on all cylinders as usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Dave,The Darker Side. http://barbelwars.yuku.com/

    ReplyDelete