Saturday, 19 November 2011

Operation Ying And A Lucky Hat

After last weeks sullen and lifeless blank on our local river,the pressure was really on as Yessling Ying was travelling over from the border lands for a days Perch fishing with Gruff and I.Yesslings PB Perch stands at a very modest and dare I say honest weight of 1.14lb and he has looked on in envy at some of the Perch we have caught over the years.Oh and it was his birthday yesterday so nowt like pressure is their?

We needed a change of luck as our local river has been in a fickle mood of late,with very little coming out.It just seems so listless at present but I had a plan!It was time for the lucky hat to make an appearance for the first time this season........

I know it's not your normal angling tifter and I apologise for the over zealous advertising,of MIZUNO MAKERS OF THE FINEST GOLF CLUBS IN THE WORLD,cough.But it is my lucky Perch hat so in the rucksack late on Thursday it went.

Operation Ying started in earnest at 05.00Hrs yesterday morning as I drilled my worms in what to expect from the Mongol hordes of Crayfish.In fact it was the finest speech of my life to be fair and each worm was bedecked in Claret and Blue with the motto "These colours don't run".William Wallace 'aint got nothing on me.

We met Ying at first light and after hand shakes and birthday greetings it was straight off to the river.I chose the venue this week as I've had plenty of three pound plus Perch here over the years, the largest being 3.12lbs.I can't catch a four pound Perch for love nor money no matter how hard I try,maybe that's the problem trying?I suggested an area for Ying to fish as for me it's an absolute "banker" Perch swim,but he declined owing to it's proximity to some over head power cables.Gruff being some what older than us had dropped into the nearest swim he could,muttering away about how it's "To bastard hot for mesen" in his finest Donnie accent.

We went upstream to a wooded area and fished side by side chatting about this and that.Both laughing about the Barbel Forum on Fishing Magic and how it's like a home for banned Fatwa posters.No fish were fourth coming so after an hour we moved back downstream and I'll not labour the point I failed my mate.I tried,I really did want him to catch a new PB Perch but all he caught were Minnows from a variety of swims.Gruff had a Perch of about a pound,but what was odd and I'm not complaining was the fact that not even the Crayfish were active and this place is full of them.The river is so low at present it was hard work,even the Chub were quite and they can be a pain when targeting the Perch.

I suppose I better mention how I fared being as it's my blog.Well as Yessling did not want to fish my "banker" swim I fished it and was rewarded with three Perch and a Dace.The largest of the Perch being this one here at 3.1lbs a real fat Crayfish muncher this fish.All caught on double lob worms on a size eight hook,yes even the greedy little Dace.I've got a nice photo holding the fish(thanks mate),but there is a very prominent land mark visible in the background and I can't be arsed to photo shop it out.So this will have to do I'm afraid.

I also bumped off a good fish just after noon,I cast out and went to return the rod to the rest when out of the corner of my eye I noticed the 'Pin going round.I lifted instead of struck and felt a good thump and then nothing,I assume a fish had taken the bait on the drop.Sod it or words to that effect.Sure I was glad to get a nice fish yesterday,but would much preferred that the birth day boy did but he took it well.Always another day though mate and I'm glad you like our Southern ditch,totally different to your Wye and Severn.I'm not sure I will fish next week or not as we need some rain to pep things up a little.The levels as said before are dire and the rivers around here are looking a little dirty and dishevelled.I fancy some Chub fishing in the frost to be honest,but it's still very mild and so will maybe have a game of golf.

I'll put my feet up later today,bottle of wine and listen to Talk Sport.Must crack on now and get things done and get down the bookies and put a few bets on.If your out this weekend tight lines and if your not,then why not?

Be Lucky

Monty D

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the day Monty.I shall return for a big perch. By the way, no wonder you use a wooden rod with the high voltage cables being so low !

    ReplyDelete
  2. White is the new camo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm that perch........ fat belly little tail?
    who does that remind me of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing about Power Lines though......I can think of half a dozen rivers that have good areas that produce fish regularly all close to power lines.Is there a magnetic field that us earthling amoebas don't recognise?

    It is all good that Ying.Yesterday I stole a Bee keepers hat on the way home,and have wrapped twenty meters of Tin Foil around it.The hat sits up high on Yat Rock awaiting your return.

    Enjoy your Sunday gent's.I have to take the lady out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the way you are going on about Richard, you fancy him. You should grow up.

    ReplyDelete