Saturday, 15 January 2011

The World And His Brother

Busy old day on the river today on the angler front,but alas not so on the fish front.Now I was expecting this particular river to be carrying more water today with additional colour, after speaking to the fishery manager on Thursday.But it appears that the projected rain fall never really materialised.

I though packed for the projected rain fall,heavier leads and good old meat for bait.When I first saw the river today I thought,well you can imagine.Where had all the so called colour and extra water gone,that I had been told about ?I was fishing by 08.00 and had a small Barbel around 5lbs in weight around 09.30.A small Chub around 11.00 and a decent size "Brownie" of around a pound at noon.And I fished through until 17.45 and never had another bite.

I'll be honest I fished very poorly today. Because I thought I knew what to expect condition wise and I took far to much tackle,and was loathe to move swims to often.When I fish for the hallowed "Bronze Warrior" I much prefer to roam about,as I find just watching a rod tip really does my brain in after a while.And by roaming and moving swims it keeps me interested as opposed to sitting it out in a swim or two.If you do fish that way then fine,but how the lads do it on the larger rivers where they "Bivvie Up" for a couple of days is beyond me.So in essence I fished like a prick honestly I mean it,I should have dumped the gear and gone and found some more fish.Instead of thinking that I was going to cane the place and hoping they came to me.

I also spotted more anglers out today than I have seen all season.Now I know I piss and moan about liking my peace and quiet when on the bank side.But today it was just a mass of smiling people who were only to happy to be out again after the latest spell of rather inclement weather. And just for once I felt a warm glow in my little tummy,of how nice it was.It will not last though,if they appear next weekend I will revert to type!

Just a little snap of today,no need at all to photograph the fish I caught, as how many shots on an unhooking mat,can you take.



Now back to you know where for my weekly spit coffee all over the keyboard moment.I was in work on Friday morning and saw a thread on one of these.
If you really and I mean really need to ask about one of these on an angling forum,I fear for you when you get out on the bank.It can be a very dangerous place,with twigs,stinging nettles and other dastardly things that may harm us.Take care soldier the real world is not a happy place.

Lastly I hear three people I know and most of us know, are out on a "Jolly Up" on a syndicate water on the Trent on Sunday.If you see three old men,swapping tales of bed pans,heating allowance,sock darning you have met Messrs Biggun,Popsy and Oz.My advice would be to steer well clear if you see them,as they can turn a stock pond to ash with just the one cast.You have been warned.




I did mention I was going to discuss some serious angling "stuff" earlier on in the week,but I need a bloody beer.So it will have to wait.

Be Lucky

Monty D

20 comments:

  1. Well done on the fish Monty. I hear you even bumped into a Hollywood A-lister on the fishery, a certain Michael J Fox wasn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you had a fish mate, some of us are struggling for a bite!

    My river did not have the water in it as i expected either, strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both lovely geezers Yeslling,shame they are members of the Barbel Taliban,over on Fatwa ;-)

    Tom,

    A word of advice.............Commercial fishery for you my lad.I'm off to the pub for a cupla pints,enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of club rule books threaten instant expulsion if caught digging banks. But guess it must be alright now......
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blanked, fished like a twonk for an hour then float fished cockles and meat with the wind in my face for 2 hours. Really enjoyed it...but, you know if you're bored, you're doing it wrong or doing it for the wrong reasons.

    Must try and catch a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerald,

    Good to see you again ;-0Would not have happened in your day.

    JAA,

    Spot on,but I try to fish to the conditionals,or hope to.But have got lucky in the last few days for next season.A total change,and I can't divulge.No publicity,etc,etc ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you got out and had a fish mate, I'm just getting over a bout of man flue which has laid me low since new years day.
    With respect to the shovel; I wouldn't leave the house without my pointing trowel.

    Ade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ade,

    Chin up it will soon be the spring and hopefully the time to sit round a lake a doze off,well I do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monty mon brave,
    Dick Dowing had a wonderful expression for posts (they even popped up in the earlier days, but far too regularly now) - 'DROSS'. Sums it up nicely methinks.
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monty,
    As you probably now know, one of the 3 wise (old) men didn't find the * to follow and didn't make it! Shadrak and Meeshak did meet up though and Shadrak witnessed Meeshak's re-birth as a barbel angler. Abednego had (has) a 'bad-back' and is relieved (massage is wonderful!!) he didn't waste his time,
    Immus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gerald,

    Never a word wasted with Dick.

    Oz,

    Never had you down as a fan of the Abyssinians ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the wise was struck down :-( so there were just two. Tena for men - you heard it first on here. And kicked the jinx old chap.

    paul4

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite spring venue, a secluded 5 acre estate lake, has had a massive fish kill, It was heavily stocked through natural recruitment from an initial stocking of Lenny strain carp which were introduced in the 50's. So far over 700 corpses of these lovely old fish up to mid 30's have been removed and buried.
    It I know its a cliché but I'm gutted and at a total loss as to what I'm going to do with myself this spring.
    Suggestions for a decent tench lake in the Shropshire border area welcomed.

    Ade

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has happened all over the country,a mate who has a cracking water near him,had the same thing.It's sad but it's Mother Nature no less.

    You could try the Bard,he has a couple of good Tench lakes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leney NOT Lenny, yam twit !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bollocks pedant.....

    Ade

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, it's pronounced 'Leeney', not Lenny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ade,

    I am sure if you put a little thought into it you would be able to guess who arthur is ?Must dash the train awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  19. January 20th and I've not caught one fish of any type so far this year. Cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Trent OAP Adventure

    Good job there were only two of 'em Monty or their ages would have totalled more than the river!

    Graham

    ReplyDelete