Sunday, 5 September 2010

Booze and Book Shops

Lazy Sundays eh ?I could have gone fishing today what with Mrs.Monty being over her Mothers,and Monty Junior being out with her mates,away at some shin dig for a few days.But could not be arsed.

Popped into my local Yat Rock boozer at 11.00am for a full fry up and a pint of Guinness.One always need to fortify ones self,well on a Sunday.Then had a mooch around the local second hand book emporium.Life is so much easier now the Hay-On-Wye book seekers have pissed 'orf for the summer.Lot's of Stoke Newington,Church Street, Vegans they are to.All lesbians called Matilda,Doris or Earth Sapphire Moon Beam.Those who know Church Street in "Stokie",will understand I'm sure ?

I paid the princely sum of eight pounds sterling for these three.




Now I've heard of Anthony Buxton,H.D.Turning but do not have a clue about this Bailey fellow ? Some people say he is fairly well known ?Indeed I've been told you can have a days Roach angling with him for a "Monkey" ? Pah,I'll take you out for a four pack of Stella.And I'll throw in a few laughs along the way.

I was worn out after a visit to this shop.In truth it's a cracking old place.Books from floor to ceiling,over two floors.It's like the "Old Crooked House",that used to be near the "Curzel" daan at Sarrfend.Anyone remember that place ?So I had a couple of pints of Spitfire in another boozer.And now shall cook me Roast dinner,and relax.

Be lucky.

Monty D.

5 comments:

  1. In the Blandford bookshop on Sat. I got "Going Fishing" by Negley Farson. Never heard of him before, an amazing read. Thouroghly recommned it, one of the best fishing books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JAA,

    I love old books shops.I've yet to find a mint first edition.But that matters not,I buy books to read and not to collect.Most of mine have been read over and over.And are coverd in finger marks,wine stains and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same. Reading copies are good enough, alothugh I've met sellers who look down on those copies. Which is odd because it a BOOK. Jeez....

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me old Ma always said, "Beware a bloke who wears a white jacket". Seen the Bailey bloke twice and he had one on each time.

    I can think of another dodgy white jacket wearer too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! The Kurzaal. I was sick on The Rotor at the tender age of fifteen. Happy Days. Marvellous.

    ReplyDelete