Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Working 9 to 5 ?

Not I and not today,that's the beauty of having a good boss(arse kissing extraordinaire that I am) and working flexi time.Anyway went down to river number three this season.Arrived just before 15.00 hours and sneaked into a swim, that I've not fished since last season, around August I reckon ?It's not really a swim to be honest,as you have to literally crawl under a tree on your belly to reach the river.

The Barbel and Chub live about twenty yards down stream under a bush.Anyway this is where the hard bit comes on how I fished it,as it's odd for me to be sensible.I dropperd in three Lot's of hemp and two of home rolled boiled baits.Not rolled round,but square.left it alone until 16.10.I had a smoke and a little day dream and thought about a few things.

Firstly why do I always take the first couple of days of the season off ?Invariably they fish poorly ?But my old man summed it up who is a non angling fellow "Boy, It's a rites of passage,even when you were supposed to go to school,you never did on the 16th of June".And I thought I were a sly dog at 14 ?Older dog and new tricks I reckon.Then I thought about my old wood work teacher at school Mr.Robertson who also was an angler,who apparently was never at school on June the 16th.Now many kids thought he were a miserable old sod.But engage him on the subject of Roach and he was away.Why I thought of him today, after so many years is strange.But in my minds eye, I can still see the geezer showing the disaffected youth of Hackney E9, how to use a Chisel in it's correct manner,and not to taunt your mate with.

Now the mundane bit,well for me anyway,as I'm better suited to waffle as opposed to being pragmatic.Gently cast out around 16.15 and at 17.00 had this little fellow.



Obviously not weighed,though judging by some of the claims in forum land, It's a good double ?(Yeah righto Monty)Had another cast after and had a small Chub and that were it for me.I said I think last week ? That "smash and grab" Barbel sessions in the summer heat were not my forte.But It's cooled down a lot these last few days.So I thought why not ?

Back on the Carp for me this Saturday,as It's warming up again.Let's hope I can fool a few more off the top ?

Monty D

5 comments:

  1. Nice one old chap, a mid week fish is always a bonus and such a lovely one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monty, stuff the weight if you enjoyed it, I've put back 90% of my carp this year without the scales, a good share not even out of the net.

    It's a good state of mind to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep a nice looking little fish.From my view point I will not weight let's say Barbel that look under 9lbs.

    If people want to then It is up to them.Each to there own.

    Monty D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice little sesh Monty, why is sitting by the river having a smoke and a little think so nice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I aspire to be able to put a 20lb carp back without weighing it. Of course I'll have to catch one first (without using a boilie of any kind or anti-eject of bolt rig)

    ReplyDelete